Sunday 14 November 2010

Surf/Climb Holiday Part 2: Cornish Climbing

We had about 10 days down in the South West which I fully expected to be incredibly wet and wild. We brought surf and boogie boards to give us a chance of having something to do when the inevitable foul weather came.  In the event, some of the fiercest storms of the Autumn so far lashed the western shores of the British Isles with an almost constant barage of low pressure systems, swell and dark windy days.
However, we were in luck with the rain, which generally held off until nightfall, and when the surf was just too messy and big for us northern softies, we went rock climbing.  Fancy that.

There are 2 good places I know of to climb at the southern tip of cornwall when the tides are wrong and the swell is big.  If you know of any more, let me know!
The first, Bosigran, is an old favourite of mine, and it was here that I began my long love affair with granite that was to culminate in moving to the isle of Arran.  At Bosigran, the rock is rough, solid, and generally the climbs in the lower grades are well protected,  Don't let me lull you in to a false sense of security however, the grades are very "Scottish", many of the routes are long, and the climbing athletic even at v diff.


Porthmoina Island, cut off from the rocky crags of Bosigran by tide and swell. 


Classic V Diff Commando Ridge- The starting pitch was washed by swell on this occasion so we left if for a calmer day....


Wally on the second Pitch of Ledge Climb: V Diff



  

Wally on the eponymous Ledge

 

Thrutching my way up the the final ledges on Alison Rib

The other great place to climb I know when the weather is wild is Trewavas head on the south coast, just along from the wonderful beach at Praa Sands.
Pictures below are of the tin mining ruins on the walk in, and me doing my best impression of a popsicle in the cold cold wind.  The climbing on the main cliff is generally short pitches, in an exposed position high above the sea.  It is certainly not a place to get out of the elements, but a good place to get away from the waves.


 

1 comment:

Alex said...

Bosigran is a great place :)
Doorpost is one of my all time favourite routes.Remember having a bit of a wobble on Anvil ( ? ) as my jamming skills are pretty much non existant.!
Nice to see some snow and ice on Arran.Much prefer it in sunnier weather nowadays I must admit.